A Rainbow birthday cake for my dearest friend, Ned Ahmad. - June, 2012
RAINBOW CAKE RECIPE
White Cakes (6 Layers)
- 226 gm butter ( room temperature )
- 466 gm sugar
- 5 egg whites ( room temperature )
- 2 tsp of vanilla essence
- 375 gm all purpose flour
- 4 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of salt
- 355 gm full-cream milk ( room temperature )
- 6 different liquid colouring ( Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple )
1) Pre-heat the oven for 180'C.
2) Sift the flour + baking powder + salt in a bowl and put aside.
3) In another bowl, cream butter + sugar until smooth. Regularly add egg whites one in a time. Add vanilla essence after 5 minutes of beating the egg-butter mixture.
4) Put into the flour inside the batter alternating with milk. Do it repeatedly between dry to wet to dry ingredients. ( Flour > Milk > Flour Methods )
5) Divide the batter into 6 bowl, in same weight.
6) Pour the liquid colouring into each bowl, depends on how bright you want. The colour you pour into the batter will represents the same colour after the cake cooked.
7) Bake for 15 minutes for 160'C. Or until tooth-pick insert into the cake and come out clean.
8) Put it on cooling rack for 10 minutes.
9) Flip and cover it. Make it cool in freezer while beat the buttercream.
# Use liquid colouring.
# Freeze the cake.
# Put a parchment paper / baking sheets into the pan.
Lemon Swiss Buttercream
# To fill crumbcoat
- 9 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups of sugar
- 454 gm butter
- 2 tsp of lemon
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup of sugar
- 227 gm butter
- 1 tsp of lemon
1) Cook egg whites and sugar, whisk it on medium-high heat until the sugar dissolve.
2) Pour into a bowl, whip on high-speed till match the room temperature.
3) On a medium-slow speed, add the butter waiting until each pies is completely incorporated before add next.
4) Turn high-speed and whip it about 5 minutes and pour the lemon extract.
# If the buttercream seems soupy, put it inside the freezer about 5 to 7 minutes, after that whip again. It will turns out fluffy and workable to make your frosting.
Well, instead of making Lemon Swiss Buttercream, I love to put on Cream Cheese for the frosting and to put on each layer of the cake. Cream Cheese recipe will be on my next entry! Here is some pictures from my kitchen to hi-tea table. :)
HAPPY BAKING !